HAITELMEX FOUNDATION AND CECEV
From: Environmental Commission
Name of the project:
Objective Letter : Development and Food Security Project of Tilapia: Fight against malnutrition in Haiti/florida and create jobs.
Project type (GIRO) fish.
Economic sector to which it belongs.
"Fish farming and integrated rural development "
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:
(The Haitelmex Foundation) has the honor to inform you of these activities and take this opportunity to ask your institutions for material, financial and / or technical help The program is called Development and Food Security Project of Tilapia: Fight against malnutrition and create jobs "fish farming and integrated rural development" for use in fish farming in the market, and create both a source of work and training for marginalized people where is the program of our Haiti representative office regarding the administrative offices and supervision in Florida USA for the benefit of people with and without disabilities.
OTHER CURRENT PROJECT
CHICKEN PRODUCTION OF AGRICULTURAL AND HEALTH CENTER IN CULTURE AND OTHER NUTRITION IN TRANSVERSELY:
Description of the population where the project will take place:
TITLE: Strengthening the production of fish (red hybrid tilapia O. sp) at the fish farm of Fort St. Joseph in Fort-Liberté to improve food security in the department.
ING AGROLOGIST ROOSVELT BELUS
Haitelmex Foundation and And CECEV
Committee on the Environment
As part of this project, we develop educational programs in inter exchange of international education in the field of education ecology, agriculture and health, job creation and training in social engagement.
DESCRIPTION OF THE POPULATION TO HOST PROJECT:
The Northeastern department is one of the ten departments of Haiti. Its area is 1623 km2 and a population would be 31 315 inhabitants (census estimate of 2009). By cross-border exchanges that take place, Ouanaminthe becomes increasingly the reference city while the city of Fort-Liberté remained modest city. Some argue for the transfer of the capital of Fort-Liberté in Ouanaminthe.
Code of the department: 04, ISO-3166-2: HT-NE, density: 130 inhabitants / km2, Contact: 19o40'04 '' N and 71o50'23 '' W = 162300ha its area is 1623km2.
People provides as benefiting from the project are Fort-Liberté:
Surroundings: 120 direct beneficiaries and 100,000 indirect beneficiaries at the department level.
Fort Liberte is the capital of the North-east of the department, located south of the Atlantic Ocean, west of the Dominican Republic, the North East part of the northern plains.
With about two hours of electricity a day, Fort-Liberté remains a city like many others in the very weak economies and no major economic activities. Activities leading some revenues are primarily: trade between the Dominican Republic, some NGOs is present such as FAO, PLAN, and some Funders: IDB, USAID, EU. Marginalized people live maritime and continental fishing with very small traditional boats which cause very low catch. Anglers without means to venture offshore exert strong pressure on nearby coastal species, while the environment is also subject to deforestation on the hills and mangroves, posing a threat to the renewal of marine species .. agricultural activities are very limited because of the semi-arid and hot climate of the island, and the environment is cleared.
PROJECT DESCRIPTION CULTURE HYBRID RED TILAPIA O. SP
The project aims specifically:
- The construction of 52 fish ponds for a total area of 46 800m2 of water.
- Establishment of a 190m2 size fish hatchery for production of 250 000 fry per year.
- Repair of a system of ponds supply channels by a river by gravity and the installation of a solar pumping system to compensate for the deficit in river water during the drought period.
- Establish a fish food preparation system with the Moringa flour and sorghum / millet. The cultivation of moringa and sorghum will be about 9-10 ha.
This action will allow production averaged 234,000 hybrid red tilapia. With an average weight of 400grammes by individuals we have an average production of 93 tons of fish in the first year. This production will be sold for the sum of $ 186 000 USD.
Our key objective is to produce more fish to combat food insecurity in the area. The development potential of this business is so huge that we have the lagoon with oxen (the largest lake in the Northeast) to exploit that can help us achieve our goal.
SUMMARY OF PROPOSAL
This action is enhanced fish production at the fish farm of Fort St. Joseph (freshwater aquaculture) with the integration of a new species (red hybrid tilapia). It includes the cleaning and repair of dikes, producing more than 200,000 fry per year on site at the farm level, the availability of water in quantity and quality (about 50 to 100m3 of water per hour) and the availability of quality food to feed the fish (preparing food based on moringa and sorghum and fertilizing ponds with crop residues and animal waste) and the start of production of more than 46800m2 of water. Indeed, it is the objective of providing technical support to fishermen who are left to themselves without the ability to meet the technical and financial needs of the fish farm. Finally, this action is a response to food insecurity which largely hit the target community
Enhance fish production (red hybrid tilapia) to combat chronic malnutrition, which affects a large part of the Haitian community by providing a low price, a source of quality protein.
• Enhance fish over 46800m2 of space at the fish farm of Fort St. Joseph in Fort-Liberté.
• Ensure the availability of water, food and fry at the permanently closed.
• Job creation in the sector in Haiti where unemployment affects 70% of assets and in particular by providing employment to the landless and women in vulnerable situations.
Our distribution channel is as follows:
1) average weight of fry 5 to 10 g, for amateur, professional, NGOs and concerned the fish sub-sector.
2) fish of commercial sizes from 250 g
Two distribution channels will be prioritized:
* The direct circuit with direct supply to consumers (supermarkets, restaurants, hotels, households, etc.);
* Indirect circuit with supply to wholesalers and semi-wholesalers that they sell to consumers.
This action will serve the North and Northeast fish region to contribute to the creation of prosperity in the active population and the policy of food self-sufficiency in animal protein.
OBJECTIVES AND EXPECTED RESULTS:
- The available water quantity and quality at the fish farm
- A moringa production system and sorghum and fish food emption is functional.
- The ability of hatchery production of over 200,000 fingerlings per year is functional at the farm.
- More than 46800m2 of water in production of red tilapia hybrid for an annual production of 93 tons of fish and a gross income of $ 186000USD the first year.
- Increasing the supply of domestic food products face development of agricultural production capacity.
- Improved food security of the beneficiary community.
ACTIVITIES / STAGE PREVIEW:
Dating (mobilization and sensitization) - Needs assessment - Benefit security fence for Service - Supply materials and equipment - Installation of solar pumping system - Installation of water supply channels by gravity - food preparation system with fish Moringa cultivation and sorghum / millet - Service packages for the establishment of the hatchery - Installation of the administration - Service packages for construction, warehouse, office and hangar- charging reproduction - control the quality of the water - air - broodstock feed 2 times a day - control of reproduction - Planning and preparation of the nursery pond - Harvest larvae and charge - control of fry and water quality - Food fry 6-8 times a day - planning and preparation of pre-fattening pond - Advertising and promotion for fry and fingerlings to sell 5g - pre-magnification - Control of pre-fattening - supply 3 to 4 times per day - Planning and preparation of the grow-out ponds - manual sexing juveniles and charge - magnification mono sex - magnification control - power 2 to 3 times a day - Advertising for the pink tilapia on social networks and in the media - preparing for the sale of fish to market size - selling fish at least 250g - wholesaler and semi-wholesaler - distribution to hotels, restaurants, supermarkets, etc. - Promotion and awareness for the hybrid red tilapia - producing Assessment - Organization, planning and improvement plan - Integration of new techniques and new strategies - Needs assessment.
END OF COURSE:
- Training of professional in the fisheries sector
- The monitoring and maintenance of the system of production system
- Promotion and Popularization of preparing fish food made from Moringa and sorghum.
- Reinvestment of profits in the development of fish farming in Haiti.
- Promotion and awareness for the consumption of red hybrid tilapia
BEGINNING AND END OF PROJECT PLANNED:
Start - 2016
Expected end - June 2018
Needs: Water availability, availability of food, availability of fry, Landscaping 52 basins, fencing, shed and materials
- $ 3000 USD for a 900m2 pool
- Hatchery: 145 USD per m2 (total 190 m2)
- Water: $ 58580USD
- Food: $ 1000 USD per basin
- Fence, hangar and materials: $ 30500 USD
And Other administrative expenses.
Thank you for your attention and I am at your service for any comments.